KAUZE BUREAU — Visual Communication
“Weniger aber besser.”
Rams introduced the idea of sustainable development and of obsolescence being a crime in design in the 1970s. Accordingly, he asked himself the question: "Is my design good design?" The answer he formed became the basis for his celebrated ten principles.
According to him, "good design":
- is innovative – The possibilities for progression are not, by any means, exhausted. Technological development is always offering new opportunities for original designs. But imaginative design always develops in tandem with improving technology, and can never be an end in itself.
- makes a product useful – A product is bought to be used. It has to satisfy not only functional, but also psychological and aesthetic criteria. Good design emphasizes the usefulness of a product whilst disregarding anything that could detract from it.
- is aesthetic – The aesthetic quality of a product is integral to its usefulness because products are used every day and have an effect on people and their well-being. Only well-executed objects can be beautiful.
- makes a product understandable – It clarifies the product’s structure. Better still, it can make the product clearly express its function by making use of the user's intuition. At best, it is self-explanatory.
- is unobtrusive – Products fulfilling a purpose are like tools. They are neither decorative objects nor works of art. Their design should therefore be both neutral and restrained, to leave room for the user's self-expression.
- is honest – It does not make a product appear more innovative, powerful or valuable than it really is. It does not attempt to manipulate the consumer with promises that cannot be kept.
- is long-lasting – It avoids being fashionable and therefore never appears antiquated. Unlike fashionable design, it lasts many years – even in today's throwaway society.
- is thorough down to the last detail – Nothing must be arbitrary or left to chance. Care and accuracy in the design process show respect towards the consumer.
- is environmentally friendly – Design makes an important contribution to the preservation of the environment. It conserves resources and minimizes physical and visual pollution throughout the lifecycle of the product.
- is as little design as possible – Less, but better – because it concentrates on the essential aspects, and the products are not burdened with non-essentials. Back to purity, back to simplicity.
Inspired by these points on a daily basis we take care of our clients projects in unconventional ways, aiming to create engaging, honest and unique experiences for them and their audience.
Founded in 2015, based in Bologna, Italy - Kauze Bureau has always focused on fashion, retail and lifestyle brands, delivering over the years digital and physical tools for the clients to build, freshen-up or strengthen their identity and to reach their communication goals.
Get in touch —
We collaborate with a group of indipendent artists, designers, photographers and musicians to provide tailor-made multidisciplinary projects.